Wednesday, 28 June 2017

Thinking outside the box

This term I have been able to focus on the gaps in my student's learning and I have found that many of them are struggling with place value. Room 8 have been struggling with place value after the decimal point. We have done a lot of this in class this term and it has been getting easier for some of my students. Mr Burt suggested at the beginning of the term that I try out some activities that involve hands on measuring outside of the classroom.
We tried this last week and the class had so much fun! My students who usually struggle to stay on task where in their element and the whole class got really involved and had a lot of fun! We used chalk to measure height, hand span and arm span. The students drew each of these of their partner and then measured this with a ruler. This lesson has allowed me to reflect on my teaching and also making sure that it is fun sometimes and hands on for my learners who don'd do so well just sitting in the classroom.

Thursday, 11 May 2017

Digital Immersion Term 2: Create

My very first movie that I have created, I wanted to show how creativity has changed in my teaching this year after reflection on what is important for my students and their learning.

Monday, 27 March 2017

Inquiry Update

My inquiry focus for the year is finding the balance between behaviour and my students engagement and achievement in mathematics. This term I have made some changes and observations in my class around this focus which has allowed me to change and reflect upon what strategies I have put in place. 

One major thing that was of interest was the noise level in the classroom, with teaching in an ILE this was more of a challenge than I originally thought. However with being able to work with two other teachers in order to get on top of this has been extremely beneficial and has paid off now in our space.

I have found that by keeping my class closer to me in the big space this has given me the opportunity to focus on the noise level of my class which impacts on the big space as well. My next step is to branch out of my class into the bigger space. 

Thursday, 23 February 2017

Teaching Inquiry for 2017

This is a new year and a new beginning for me with it being the start of my teaching career. I am extremely excited starting this journey at Pt England School with an amazing group of year 5 & 6 students.

This year our school wide inquiry focus is based on maths. This inquiry is one that will be extremely helpful to me as maths is one of the areas I personally struggled with in my own education. I want to make sure that my teaching of maths will not give the students the same bad experiences that I had. I also want to make the students think beyond the age old line of maths is not for me and realise that maths learning is something everyone can achieve.

My inquiry focus will be on how to engage my students behaviourally and cognitively during my maths lessons. This will include whole class teaching, group teaching sessions and independent learning. I have chosen my focus group based on last years GLOSS testing and also the current PAT's that they have completed. Each of the students are around a similar level from these test results and will be one of my maths groups for the year.

The first steps of my inquiry will be to observe these students during lessons and note down the amount of time that each student is on task. On task behaviour would be completing MathsWhizz or ExtraMaths, focusing in class lessons/group lessons and also when they are working independently actually completing their work.

I want to make sure that the independent tasks that they are completing are cognitively stimulating and giving them the support that they need in their learning. The ways in which I will assess their learning this term will be completing GLOSS testing for this year, asking the students what they are needing and wanting to help them learn and also observing behaviours that I want to see in maths and those that I don't want to see. This will give me the opportunity to see how the students learn and what strategies I can improve on or implement to make their learning more effective.

I am very excited to see how this will shaped my teaching and the learning of my students. I look forward to seeing where this inquiry will take me, I look forward to sharing my progress with you.