Thursday 7 September 2017

Google Sites, Take Three!

This week in our digital fluency group we have been looking at our own class sites and how we can improve these or improve the way in which we use these sites. I have been lucky enough to have my site already created for me by Matt and the way it has been set up is great I think that it is very accessible for our learners and is appealing to the eye. The layout of the site is always one that I come back to when creating my own sites and how I want it to look. Here is what the home page of my class site looks below. 


The way that this site has been set is so that when a student opens this on their chromebook the dimensions are correct so this is exactly what they will see no scrolling necessary! It has been interesting learning this as it is not something that I would normally take notice of or even take into account when creating my own site. This week I have learnt how to create anchor points on my page which is something that I have put off learning partly because I thought it would be too hard and I guess partly because now I know how to do it I will need to remember to do this!

It became clear to me a couple of weeks ago that this is something that my students are used to from other teachers and other sites over the years. One of my students asked me why she had to scroll down to see a lesson when she should just be able to select the title and be taken straight there. This made me see that me not wanting to add this too my large to do list was actually impacting my learnings and how they access things. So by learning this today I have been empowered and I also how that the follow on effect to empower my learners! I will keep you posted and let you know how this goes! I think it will be a success for me and my students but it is making sure that I add this to the top of my priority list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Academic Reading

Our next CoL PLG is this afternoon and we have been asked to read a piece of academic reading and to highlight some quote from the text to s...